Tuesday, November 18, 2008

thing9 - google docs

Sue D invited me to be a guinea pig for her first google doc and I was pretty taken with it - e.g. I liked that it remembered me when I made interjections in Sue's text by automatically using the same colours etc I had chosen for the first comment.

There seemed to be plenty of templates for various types and subtypes of documents - but, like everyone else who has commented, googledoc isn't the place to develop confidential material.

I wonder what happens if 2 or more authors try to work on a document at the same time? Will have to try!

btw...

I came across "The 7 weirdest and wackiest uses for WordPress" after Kathryn G added herself to the 23katethings network (or vice versa), amongst them is this:

WordPress, the Word Processor

Are you one of those people who are queasy about Google having access to all your information? Myself, I’m not so worried about that—but I hate the Google Docs interface with a great deal of passion (to each his own, eh?). So much so that if I’m out and about without access to a desktop word processor I’ll simply fire up WordPress and do some writing in there.

And if you’re collaborating, the new revision histories allow you to reverse any bone-headed changes your collaborator makes. Because you’d never do that, right?


later: I went back and looked around a bit more at the available docs, and found a wonderful quiz/test template - you can choose a variety of answers (text, multiple choice, etc) - the test can be emailed, embedded in a website, etc - and when someone completes their copy their answers are automatically fed into a spreadsheet. Sue D passed my copyright test with flying colours - big gold star!

1 comment:

Librarian Kathryn said...

Ah, the form that you can incorporate into a spreadsheet. I used that to get feedback about technologies in the session I did on the Horizon Report, and also to get feedback from participants in the blog trial about the customisations they wanted for the system before I set it up.